Just an hour earlier the children from
the next tent over had been playing and splashing at the waters edge
which was held tight against the sandy beach that I was perched on.
Fast-forward one hour and you need binoculars to see if there are any
people wading in the Yellow sea. There is no shelf in the Yellow
sea. When I look at my map of South Korea, the East Sea (Sea of
Japan) has a thin strip of light blue tightly hugging the coastline
quickly giving way to the dark blue color used to signify the sea.
On the western side of Korea, the entire sea is light blue. This is
one reason why you see land reclamation projects like Songdo. Cities
are being built on enormous mud flats. The shallow depth at high
tide and long distance recession of the sea at low-tide make places
like Hanagae beach on Muuido Island both frustrating and fascinating
places to spend a weekend in the summer.
Muuido Island is located in Incheon,
South Korea. Even though I live in Incheon, it still takes me a
couple of hours to get out to Hanagae beach, the most well-known of
the two Muuido beaches. Muuido is a small island that is only a five
minute ferry ride south of airport island. In order to get to
Hanagae beach from the part of Incheon that I live in, I must take 3
buses and one ferry. The wait times for each transfer significantly
extend travel time in this case.
Incheon is a coastal city and so
naturally, when warmer weather started to come, I inquired about
beaches in the area. Though Muuido is not the closest, I was told by
a friend that it is the nicest beach close by. Others warned me that
it was dirty, very shallow and that the mud flats at low tide provide
a formidable obstacle to reaching the water. Those who provided
negative feedback failed to present a better option so I decided that
Muuido would be my first beach camping experience in Korea.
The sun was nice, the water was nice
and the tent looked pretty darn good anchored in the sand just behind
the line of much larger Korean set-ups. I wrote in a previous post
about how serious Koreans take hiking and other sporting activities.
A day at the beach is no exception. In any given weekend day at
Muuido beach you'll find a line of large tents. These set-ups
usually include a 5+ person tent, a grill, a cushioned pad for
sitting on, a cooler filled with food and drinks, and any number of
other camping accessories. You would think that they came ready to
stay for week when they are really just staying for the daylight
hours. For us, using public transportation and carrying everything
on our backs, our little home is much less impressive.
Then the tide started to recede and we
began to see what can be both unique and frustrating about this part
of Korea. First, we never reached chest-high water levels. From
what I'm told, where those water levels exist there are police on jet
skis telling you that its too dangerous and that you must head back
to shore. Second, after an hour of the tide going down, it is so far
away that it doesn't seem worth it to run after it. Third, the
receding tide opens up a mud flat of marine life that you have to
walk over to get to the water. On our first visit we followed it out
but only after a cheap sandal purchase at the local shop. Beneath
our feet were both clams and crabs making their way over the mud.
Right next to the sandals you'll find tools for digging as many
Koreans will come to the beach to dig for clams or crabs when the
tide is down.
I don't want to paint this receding
tide thing as a complete negative. It can actually offer quite a
draw to the beach for a few reasons. First, it is quite interesting
walking over the mud and observing the wildlife that the low tide
reveals. Secondly, after the trek out to the waters edge when one
turns around and looks back at the shore and the island, they get an
interesting perspective that they wouldn't get on other beaches
without access to a boat. Thirdly, watching how fast the tide can
rise and fall in such shallow waters is quite fascinating for the
first time. Finally, it was really cool watching the sunset over the
sea and over the mudflats as Korean diggers make their way inland
after their weekend work day. These are the sights that I think make
Muuido beach, and probably other beaches on the west coast of Korea,
a must visit if your in the country for an extended period of time.
What brought me back to Muuido Island
was the fact that I left something undone after the first trip. Just
behind Hanagae beach there is a small mountain that I was sure
presents a nice view of the island, the beach and the Yellow Sea.
Horyonggoksan is the tallest peak on the mountain at 244 meters above
sea level with very easy access directly from the beach.
Unfortunately, hiking it on my second trip to Muuido presented its
challenges. The first obstacle was the cicada infested forest that
you have to hike through the entire way. Not only was it the
constant screaming that touched a nerve but also the fact that winged
insects the length of my thumb and twice its width were perched on
branches and tree trunks right next to my head as I made my way up
the trail. There's probably no better way to warm up to the beasts.
The second major obstacle was the heat and humidity of the Korean
August which is borderline tropical. Regardless, it was a short
hike. It probably took just over an hour going up the long way and
just over 30 minutes coming down the short way. The views from the
island peak were well worth the trek out to the island, and the trek
up the small mountain.
To continue on this pro-Muuido stream
there was one more pretty fun point that I experienced at Hanagae
beach this past weekend. When the tide was up mid-day Saturday and
mid-day Sunday the water was a blast to be in. It was the perfect
temperature to offset the August heat and the sea was surprisingly
quite rough. Right, I didn't get to experience waves in water that
was chest deep but sitting low in the water and momentarily catching
little waves was reminiscent of the beach times I loved in the past.
Muuido Island is by no means a reason
to come to Korea but for any expat spending some time in or around
the Seoul area I strongly recommend taking a weekend to relax on the
beach or hike the peak in the summer months. Its an easy enough trek
to make for a worth-while weekend.







No comments:
Post a Comment