Months ago, riding my bicycle into
Seoul for the first time, I smiled with delight when I observed the
cityscape of the northern part of the city. The tall buildings and
the skyscrapers were not taking over the view as in most big cities.
Instead it was the mountains that caught my eye. Seoul may be a huge
city but hanging over top of the man-made constructions looms a tall
mass of rock, trees and nature.
In the past six months I have been
slowly inching my way to that mountain with each visit to Seoul,
almost like a natural attraction. First, I visited Itewan just North
of the river. Next, I visited Namsan mountain with North Tower at
its peak. After that, was the historical Seoul of Jongmyo at the
mountain's base. Then there was Bugaksan, the mountain standing
between the high peaks of Bukhansan and the rest of Seoul. From
there, Baegundae's jagged peak commands the view north while city
life, skyscrapers and old palaces lie to the south. Just when I
thought I couldn't get much closer I saw Dobongsan on the map and
caught a view of the high peaks of Bukhansan from behind. Since that
first cruise in on the bike trail along the Han all roads have been
leading to Baegundae.
There are a few ways to hike to the
highest peak of Bukhansan. I didn't choose the longest route, nor
did I choose shortest. From the park entrance at the Bukhansanseong
Information Center to the peak we had about 4 km. The hike took us
up a sloped valley next to a rather cool and turbulent creek. It was
a surprisingly refreshing hike considering the clear blue skies on a
hot August day. It didn't take long to reach a road, and later a
temple. Down near the temple we caught our first view of the high
peak and the steep route that we would be taking. From there the
trail turned abruptly up hill. We reached the 2 km mark after what
seemed like less than an hour of hiking. From there on we took it
nice and slow up to the peak. Along the way we were trading
positions with a Korean lady with a device that periodically called
out, in English, the distance that she had hiked until that point and
her speed up the mountain. Eventually we reached a large stone wall
constructed centuries ago between two peaks as a passage over the
mountain. From there we turned left, hiking along the wall and up a
path of cables, stairways built and steps carved into the snow. At
that point we had left the coverage of the forest and we were hiking
up open rocks offering views on both sides. We finally reached the
peak two hours after passing the 2 km mark.
It wasn't until reaching the peak when
we could finally get our bearings straight on wear exactly we were
located. On our way up the rock face we could see climbers scaling
and descending the peak to our right. From the peak of Baegundae I
could look south and see Seoul and its North Tower at the top of
Namsan mountain. To the south I could see Dobongsan, a mountain in
Bukhansan National Park that I had hiked to the top of about six
weeks earlier. To the west I spotted our route up the mountain and a
large Buddhist statue at a temple that I plan to hike to on my next
visit to the park.
![]() |
| If you look closely through the haze you can see Seoul Tower on the top of Namsan in the distance. |
We chose an alternate route down so as
to see a different part of the mountain. We went down the eastern
path which was half the distance of that in the west. Effectively,
we crossed Bukhansan west to east in our course. Shortly after
beginning our descent we passed a rather large shelter where we
stopped and grabbed a snickers for some extra energy to complete our
hike. At the base we enjoyed a beer as we waited for a bus down to
Uidong, the main park entrance for hiking Baegundae.
From Uidong looking up at Bukhansan,
you catch the view that is stamped on the park's symbol. Finally,
after grabbing a quick bite to eat, our day came to its completion at
one of our favorite Seoul spots, the lawn of city hall. We enjoyed
milkshakes while watching locals enjoy a small music festival right
there on the lawn.
![]() |
| Climbers scaling Insubong, the peak just next to Baegundae. |
![]() |
| The path climbed along a fortress wall. |
![]() |
| In some parts, cables provided much needed assistance. |






No comments:
Post a Comment