Scrolling through my blog posts you
would know for sure, no question, that Korea has some beaches and
some mountains. As the temperature and the humidity rise, I find
myself resorting to free-time options less physically demanding than
knocking off another Seoul peak. Beaches are nice and relaxing
summer-time activities, but Mihai and I like to spend the better part
of a beach weekend in or around the tent. July being rainy season, a
weekend without at least some rain is rare. It has however, been a
much nicer July this year. The rain comes, but not everyday. The sun
shines, its hot and humid but not impossible. With conditions as they
are, I've turned to the bike. I can take it easy on the bike if I
want, rest in the shade where I want, go hard when I'm ready for some
more exertion. In the past weeks, I found out that when you want to
get out of the city, avoid the mountains, and you can't reach the
beach, you find wetland. At least in these parts.
My first visit to this somewhat local, ecological feature was a solo trip and a mistake. The plan was to visit a small hill that looks out over the sea in Oido, a neighborhood that is about a 1 to 1.5 hour bike trip south of Yeonsu. About half way to Oido I pass through a fish market in Sorae, an area at the furthest southern reaches of Incheon that I adore for the coastal life that it emits. It doesn't have a beach, but it has the smell of the sea, the gulls, the walkways and bike paths along a shallow canal that the fishing boats crawl through with a fresh catch.
To go on from Sorae to Oido you have
to cross a bridge, effectively leaving the Incheon city limits. From
up on that bridge, I like to look down and watch the small fishing
boats unloading their catch. As I said, it's a small fish market. The
unloading of these boats is simple. One of the 2 or 3 person crew
puts the fish in a plastic crate and hooks a rope to each side of
it. Two men up on the concrete platform at the other end of the rope
hoist up the crate and put it on a wagon that one of them will have
to take through the market once its full. Sometimes, simple manual
labor can be beautiful thing to watch. It was on the tail end of that
bridge crossing where I spotted two folks on bikes taking a trail going
under the bridge that I was on. I had no clue that there was a trail
there, and so I thought I would take a look.
After one peek, I never turned back. To
this day, I still haven't visited that hill by the coast at Oido
where I intended to go originally. I'm used to nicely marked, laid
out in red asphalt bike trails. Easy to see, city biking. That's what
we have here. Well, once I saw the dirt track, my intrigue kept me
going on it. The bumpy dirt road followed a tidal canal. Its steep
walls of dirt dropped down to a narrow strip of brown water. At the
top of those walls, vast fields spread over the landscape. First
there were these interesting purple plants that I was not familiar
with. In the distance stood Soraesan, a small mountain that stands
out among fields and smaller hills. Meanwhile the foreground was
populated by these purple plants that, at a certain moment, took a
muddy slide into the stream, only to pop back up again and continue
on.
Further along the trail, with bent over
farmers barely visible in the fields on my left, the small purple
bush-like plants gave way to tall grasses and the cranes started to
appear. In flight, their long necks curled up but as they stretched
their legs out to land revealing their great wingspan, so too did the
long thin hose of a neck lengthen. While crossing a small bridge I
noticed the muddy stream bed below riddled with holes. I later found
out that these were homes of crabs. Many of which I would see later
on. Soon enough, a golf course appeared my right and the Siheung
Ecologocal park, on my left.
My favorite part of the park was
situated along that main stream that I followed in. There is a
shaded region there where you can sit on a wooden swing and look out
over the stream, the fields and the hills in the background. A deck
was built out into the tall grasses and marsh land from where you
could view birds to look down on the muddy surface to see brown crabs
scurry to their holes. There was also a tower standing at five or six
stories tall. A slight slope spiraled up around the structure with a
platform every twelve feet or so. I climbed to the top where I found
some great views. You could see marsh and fields of grass to the
north, rice fields to the east, the rest of the park and mountains to
the south, and a distant Sorae to the west. Large binoculars are
placed around the top platform for better viewing. When I went there
a week later with Mihai we watched some horseback riders down in the
marshy fields ride their horses at a trot.
The park included a large section where
salt is harvested. This part of the park included several flat stone
or concrete pools, most of which were empty. I don't know when they
harvest sea-salt but I'd like to see it when they do. There was also
a section of the park with small pagodas situated next to small
ponds, ideal for resting.
After a ride around the rice fields I turned back toward Sorae, but I rode back on the other side of the main stream. Rather than taking the main dirt road the whole way back, I decided to cut off onto one of the smaller paths. I was immediately surrounded by grasses much taller than I. They closed in on the path until they were brushing me on both sides. It seemed like a labyrinth, periodically opening up at a pagoda or a deck by the stream. After exiting I checked myself for bugs. Shortly up the trail I rode by a couple of horses with riders feeding. After just 10 minutes or so of slow riding, taking in the nature around me, I look back to see two riders galloping toward me. I picked up pace, and every time I looked back I saw these riders, high on there horses, running. It was actually quite exciting. For a moment, I felt like I was part of a western.
The way back took me through another
ecological park at Sorae. Before arriving at that park, Mihai and I
passed by some folks taking off, in flight. They had parachutes, and
big propellers on their backs. We stopped to watch them. Once they
got some air in their chutes, they flipped a switch activating the
propellers and lifting off. I'd like to learn how to do that.
Sorae Marsh is another Ecological park
with salt harvesting, interesting purple plants, another, similar
stream, and good views of Soraesan mountain. It also has some
dutch-style windmills and a section where folks, young and old, play
in the mud. I didn't have time to stick around there and check it out
much but I plan to return. What I like about Sorae Marsh, is seeing
the fishing boats beached high up in the mud. The water level drops
very low at low tide.
Siheung Ecological Park may have been one of my first wanderings into a wetland, but not the last. Today, I found myself watching crabs scurry back to
their holes at a riverside much further inland, at the Han river. I
was on the North side of the Han, Northwest of Seoul, riding along a
similar marshy landscape to that of Siheung. These bike rides are a
nice alternative to the mountains in this hot and humid weather.
Since arriving in Yeonsu, I have found it very pedestrian friendly,
bike-rider friendly, and a nice place to roam. As I stretch out,
expand my territory, I continue to find more interesting features of
this landscape. My own version of the South Korean landscape. What
will I find tomorrow?
No comments:
Post a Comment