In what seems to be the heart of a
major Seoul business district a spiritual sanctuary stands where it
has for over a thousand years. I first noticed Bongeunsa when I went
to the Intercontinental Hotel in southern Seoul for a wine event. I
briefly stepped outside for some fresh air when I noticed a large
Buddhist statue standing up on the hill in front of me. It was a
part of a much larger complex, the scale of which I wouldn't realized
until this past weekend. There it was, a Buddhist temple, across the
street from the COEX exhibition center, the Seoul World Trade Center,
and the Intercontinental Hotel. Traditional Korean clashing with the
modern, in more ways than one.
A large map and the temple's history
is presented to the visitor on a large display just outside the
entrance. I immediately noticed it's scale in the number of buildings
on the compound. It is much larger than some of the temples that I
had previously visited. As I turned around and glanced at the high
rises behind me I was surprised that such a large piece of land could
have resisted the surge in development that seemed to take over that
part of Seoul in the past couple of decades.
Upon entering the temple we came across
a small information center to our right with brochures and friendly
faces behind an opened window. After some small talk they offered us
a free tour of the temple grounds and an older, peaceful looking man,
stepped out to show us around. Even though his English was not
perfect, in the 45 minute tour he not only shared facts about the
temple, but he also explained much about Buddhist teaching and
philosophy. I especially liked his explanation of the Daewoong-jeong
(main Buddha hall) and the art presented around the outside of the
building showing Buddha's life and the process of nirvana.
Another interesting feature that our
guide pointed out was the bell pavilion. Every temple has a bell
pavilion containing a Dharma bell, but not all bell pavilions contain
all for instruments for praying. Bogeunsa's bell pavilion included all four instruments. The
first feature was the Dharma drum, a large drum which played to pray
for all earthbound creatures. The next feature was a large, wooden,
hallowed out, fierce-looking fish, hanging from the ceiling of the
pavilion. The inside of the fish is played to pray for creatures living
in the water. The third feature of the pavilion was a large,
cloud-shaped, gong hanging from the ceiling, which is played for the
creatures of the sky. Lastly, the large Dharma bell is played to
save the dead spirits in hell. Each of the instruments is played
twice daily, once at 4:10am and a second time at around 5:40pm.
Unfortunately, we haven't yet witnessed this but one of these days we
might make it to a temple to hear the various sounds.
After the detailed description of the
main Buddha hall, our guide led us up some stairs to some smaller
halls situated higher up on the hill. One of the
halls was called Bukgeudbok-jeon, or Hall of the Big Dipper. It was
at this hall where he explained that Buddhism did not spread into
Korea through war, but through acceptance of local beliefs. Hence, a
hall dedicated to the big dipper, a constellation important in Daoist
custom.
![]() |
| Hall of the Big Dipper |
Finally, we came to the large, 23 meter
high statue of Maitreya. Maitreya is a Bodhisattva, a future Buddha
as our guide described. Instead of achieving nirvana and becoming a
Buddha, Maitreya returned to earth to save sentient beings. As we
stood in front of the statue examining it, Buddhists would step,
shoeless, onto the marble platform at the statues base, and bow in
prayer. Once again I turned around to catch the contrast. Towering
up over the traditional Korean architecture of the temple I saw the
modern World Trade Center in the background.
Even though Bongeunsa is a large and
beautiful temple it was impossible for me to escape the realization
that I am in the middle of a huge, very busy city. Regardless,
Bongeunsa is surely worth a visit as it is a temple with much to see
and learn. Plus, there you will find interesting images that seem to
define Seoul and Korea in a way, the traditional clashing with the
modern.




Nice
ReplyDelete