Cheongryang-san is a small mountain on
the northern edge of Yeonsu district, the neighborhood of Incheon where I currently reside. The small mountain serves as
a natural border between parts of the city and as a recreational spot
for, from what I have seen, mostly older people. For me,
Cheongryang-san and its sister mountain to the east, Munhak-san,
represent a small escape from the busy streets of the city, a good
natural workout, and some nice views. I can already tell that these
places will be a big part of my life here in Korea, not only in size
but also in significance.
On my last trip to the top of
Cheongryang my friend Mike and I decided to go even farther to the
far end of the ridge. The trail only took us another few minutes
until we reached a lookout point perched on a high ledge. The
decking of the lookout point was in the shape of the front of a boat
and it was pointing out to the Yellow Sea. From there on the
western-most point of the mountain you can see the sea with the
Incheon bridge darting across the watery landscape connecting Airport
island with the mainland. I imagined what the view might be like in
the evening when the sun is setting over those waters that were laid
out in front of me. Certainly, I will make it up there for a sunset
one of these days making sure to bring a flashlight for the trail
walk back.
We had reached the edge of the ridge
and the time to turn around but the trail continued. Looking
straight down the side of the rock you could see a staircase
zig-zagging down the rocks and into the forest. Nearly straight
below us at the base of the mountain Mike pointed out a war
memorial. More specifically, it is the Incheon Landing Operation
Memorial Hall, a memorial to Incheon's claim to fame as the site of
General MacArthur's Amphibious invasion to take Seoul and turn the
tide of the Korean War. It looks like there is still more to see on
my next trip up Cheongryang.
On the last decent this past week we
walked past roves of older hikers decked out in the latest, flashiest
hiking gear. We figured out that if we want to go hiking, morning is
the best time. Even at 9:30am there were a good number of other
hikers on the trail but it wasn't too bad. During our 10:30 descent
the number of hikers on their way up easily tripled that of just an
hour earlier. It's kind of nice to see the faces of the the hikers,
people getting out, getting exercise, and enjoying the nice day. I
personally feel fortunate to have both Cheongryang and Munhak
mountains so nearby and so accessible and I'm looking forward to long
hours spent on their trails, in their shade and on their peaks in the
next year.

No comments:
Post a Comment