Sunday, February 17, 2013

Goodbyes, rather See you laters

Every few minutes another jet speeds past my viewing window as I try to see past the concrete runway where Jamaica Bay sits, according to Google maps. Just beyond the water sets yet another level of concrete, apartments where dirty dishes idly lay after the morning's breakfast, schools where children joke with their classmates while the teacher is writing math problems on the board, offices where their parents are shuffling papers or checking up on a patient, shops where a clerk hands back change wishing a nice day to the customer. South African Airlines zips by and such are my final visions of America as I prepare for a 15 hour flight to South Korea.


Now its the news that I hear, “Is drone warfare worthy of military medals?” asks the host of CNN newsroom. Earlier it was the whimpers of mothers, sisters, girlfriends, buddies, even fathers of fellow passengers as they said their goodbyes before filing into the security check line. My own goodbyes have occupied the past couple of weeks with time spent with family, hugs, kisses, glasses clinking, just plain hanging out.

American Airlines zips by. The plan was to spend a good chuck of time, three months, at home with family and friends before shipping off to Korea to work as an English teacher for one year. It was important to be home for the holidays after having missed four straight Thanksgivings, Christmases. The holiday passed with all of us together finally, the three months passed, and to my bittersweet delight I now sit waiting to board a plane to Korea. Back on the road. Despite only having spent three short months at home, saying goodbye was harder than it has ever been.

Emerites Airlines zips by as I mull over the past 24 hours of getting baggage around, cherishing a few minutes here and there with Mihai, and chatting about life with aunts, uncles, parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, and my soon to be born niece, “I'll see you on skype” was my so long to her. Mom gathered these important people around for a Pudgies pizza party send-off. Even the two hour drive at three in the morning on two and a half hours of sleep zipped by. Nate, Mihai, and I cruising down a lonely highway, and now, sitting alone in a far away corner of the airport in front of the most beautiful viewing window “alone” is the last thing that I feel. For this, I have my family and friends to thank.

This isn't goodbye, it's “see you later”. Sarang he.

No comments:

Post a Comment