Over the past few years it has been a small tradition of
mine to make it a point to celebrate the New Year in a new place. This tradition began with my first New Years
away from home ringing in 2009 at Mammoth California, a small ski-town in the
eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. The
following three NYE celebrations took place in new countries for me.
First there was Belgrade, Serbia. At the party in the square we had a good time
with some young, America-loving college students who couldn’t believe that we
were from the states. Other, not so
pleasant factors of that rather warm beginning of January led us to vowing
never to return to Belgrade. Sure enough
I ended up returning and learning the lesson that every place deserves more
than one look. Read more about
NYE-Belgrade here.
Next there was Budapest, Hungary. Despite the cold, or maybe because of the
cold, one of the greatest hostel experiences ensued. The place was packed and people were sticking
around the hostel to party there rather than groups splitting up for the
clubs. By people, I mean a couple of
Americans, a Canadian, a few Germans, and an entertaining slew of Slovenians
and Croats. A “small world” experience
came of it all when exactly one year later I ran into a couple of those Croats
on a walking tour in another great European city. For me, not enough time was spent in
Budapest. Read more about NYE-Budapest here.
Finally there was my last European NYE, for the time being
anyway. NYE 2012 took place in Krakow, Poland. It was there that I met up with my brother
and a large and unique group of fun-loving Peace Corps Volunteers in
Ukraine. Read more about NYE-Krakow here.
New Years Eve 2013 brought a new year and some new
experiences, and even though it wasn’t spent in a different country, a European
capital or an exotic location it was a bit unconventional comparing to the
previous four years. NYE 2013 was spent
at home. The original idea of this
tradition was to celebrate the New Year in a new place. So it turned out, each one of those places
were places that I returned to for a second visit, another look. In a way that tradition was followed this
year as well. After not being home for
the holidays for four consecutive years, coming home is a bit like a new
place. Corning isn’t the kind of place
that changes much, but enough time spent away and the growing number of recent
memories clouding my picture of home have turned it into somewhat of a new
place. Also, in keeping with tradition
I’m sure that I’ll be returning for another look someday.
As for NYE-2013 celebrations I’d have to say that if the
celebration is any indication of how the year will go then I’ve got a nice,
relaxing year ahead of me. We kicked off
the night with a couple of drinks and a few rounds of UNO. It was two of my best friends, a buddy, and
me just hanging out, listening to some pick-me-up music and throwing cards
down. Later on we paid a visit to the bar
so as to be around some more pretty faces as the New Year came about. As the Time Square ball dropped on the LCD
screen in the corner I scanned the room taking in the situation. There were the glasses held up but not all
that high in the air, the wide open mouths screaming out the countdown, the
party hats, the couples embracing, and then there were my friends, their smiles
and a clink of the glass to ring in 2013.
The party continued but remained low key. With some of the upcoming moves that I have
going on I doubt that my NYE-2013 celebration will be any indication of my year
but I remain hopeful.
No comments:
Post a Comment